In the event of an emergency during our normal business hours, we ask that you contact us in advance at 860-859-1649 regarding the situation so we can prepare for your arrival. Emergencies can be a frightening and stressful time, and our team and resources are available to help make the process easier for you and your pet. If we determine that your pet requires overnight nursing care or a level of specialty we cannot provide here, we will coordinate your pet's referral to the appropriate critical care or specialty hospital.
We understand that medical emergencies for a pet can, and often do, happen outside of regular business hours. If your pet has an after-hours emergency, please contact one of the emergency hospitals below:
Pieper Memorial Veterinary Center
730 Randolph Road
Middletown, CT 06457
• 24-hour emergency care and specialty center. Providing internal medicine, neurology, oncology, diagnostic imaging, surgery, acupuncture, behavior, physical therapy.
1480 South County Trail
East Greenwich, RI 02818
• 24-hour emergency care and specialty services for Southern New England. Providing internal medicine, neurology, oncology, diagnostic imaging, surgery, critical care, clinical pathology, ophthalmology, avian and exotic pet medicine.
Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine (2 locations)
4 Devine St. 535 Boston Post Rd.
North Haven CT 06473 or Guilford, CT 06437
-24 hour emergency care and specialty services.
When Should I Seek Emergency Care For My Pet?
The easiest answer as to whether you should seek emergency care for your pet is when you feel his or her medical condition is serious and cannot wait. However, the following general situations should help you determine if you need to seek emergency care for your pet.
• Labored or difficult breathing
• Collapse or loss of consciousness
• Sudden onset of weakness
• Acute abdominal swelling
• Excessive vomiting or diarrhea
• Toxin ingestion
• Exhibits symptoms of heat stroke
• High or low temperature (more than 104°F or less than 100°F)
• Inability to urinate or defecate